Thursday 2 January 2014

10 Questions for ... Sam Walker (Chelsea FC)

(Photo cu-fc.com) - Sam Walker
The first interview to grace my blog pages comes from young Chelsea goalkeeper Sam Walker. The Gravesend born stopper despite being only 22 has clocked up over 100 football league appearances having spent time on loan at Barnet, Northampton Town, Yeovil Town & Bristol Rovers. For the most part of 2013, Sam has been on loan with NPower League 1 Side Colchester United. 


1). Who has been the greatest influence on your career ?

I've been blessed to have worked with some great coaches and people in my short career. I'm also lucky to have a very supportive family around me. 

Since I was 16, I've worked with Mark Beeney at Chelsea and continue to, to this day. So he's obviously been a huge influence to me. I've also spent time on loan working with great coaches including Tim Flowers, Dave Beasant and currently Georgey Bankole. Each of whom I've developed my game under and taken many bits of advice on board from them. 

They've all got superb experience and I've picked up invaluable tips from them all.

Chelsea Academy Goalkeeper Coach
Mark Beeney has shaped Walker's game
(photo:chelseafc.com) 

2). You've been on loan at several lower league clubs now, how does the experience differ to your experiences at Chelsea ?

As a young very raw 15 year old through until about 19 years of age, Chelsea was exactly what I needed to develop myself in all aspects of the game. 

To learn the correct techniques, build my physique and develop my all round game. Chelsea's youth teams are all about development rather than results. They accept mistakes because you're a developing player. But every young player (especially Gk's), will come to a point where 

they need to go out, on loan and play, whatever level that is at, to actually learn the game. 

You can't match the pressure of going to win 3 points on a Saturday afternoon. Peoples jobs, careers and livelihoods on the line every week. I cannot say enough positives about the loan system for young players. Every player should go through it. It is an unrivalled experience.

3). Who are your 3 all time favourite goalkeepers in your lifetime and what qualities did you most admire about them ?

I've never been a big one for idols. Growing up I didn't have a specific idol. As I've grown up and taken notice of goalkeepers a lot more, I realise just how sensational Schmeichel was. His aggressive manner and bravery were 2 of my favourites traits. He would defend that goal with his life. Saving it any which way possible, I love that. 
(Photo: google images) Walker with Petr Cech 


Coming into the modern era a little more, I love the self-belief of Joe Hart. Some say its arrogance. Not for me, he has an unwavering belief in his ability and although he's going through a tough time at the moment, I'm sure he'll come out the other side even stronger. 

The 3rd goalkeeper and my favourite if I had to pick one, is Petr Cech. I count myself incredibly fortunate to have spent a fair amount of time around this man. He has many superb talents and is a consistently top class performer. His calmness and command of his back four, his excellent distribution. To name just a few of his skills. He's also a great man. As I find most Gk's are!


4). Do you feel that the current thoughts behind coaching for goalkeepers is relevant to the modern professional game ?

I do. In my experience certainly. I'm unsure of the exact stat but I heard it was around 90% of a Gk's touches in a match are with their feet now. We're expected to be just as good on the ball as the central midfielder! Of course, it's still vitally important to work the other aspects a lot of the time. But nowadays it is equally important to work your distribution and touch, as many coaches do now.
 
(Photo: Chelmsford Weekly News)
5). Which types of training sessions do you enjoy the most ? Technical or match based scenarios ?

I enjoy all aspects of goalkeeping. As a big guy, I've always found getting up off the ground quickly a challenge. But a challenge I enjoy. I like to think I've got better at it over the years. 

My favourite types of sessions are one's that include game related instances. Shots from the edge of the box, footwork across the goal to deal with a cut back or stood up cross etc. Game related training for me is my favourite. There are a million and one footwork drills or drills using high hurdles etc. These are needed at times for power, speed etc. But my favourite is good old fashioned game based training.


6). Describe a typical training day in the life of a pro goalkeeper ?


I hear it all the time.. 'Being a goalie is easy, anyone could do it' 'ahh, you boys don't do anything in a game' I'm adamant goalkeepers are the hardest workers. Always have been sure of that. We do all our hard work during the week to give ourselves the best chance of being ready for whatever Saturday brings. 
(Photo: Green 'Un 24)
 Sam in training with Chelsea

A typical day for me at the moment will consist of a 45 minute gym session before training. Working on making sure we are strong and powerful. I've always thought a good strong core and glutes mean the rest of the body will work just fine around that. 

The reason for gym before is it stops the body stiffening up because we're straight out moving and loosening the muscles again, as opposed to going home after the gym and sitting on the sofa! 

The players usually come out to train at 11 but we will always be out early. It varies between 45 mins to 15 mins early but we'll be out first. To make sure that we get the right amount of Gk work in before the team need us for their training. 

Usually we do around an hours GK work a session then over with the team for whatever they require us for. Often crossing and finishing or a small sided game. Then it's usually in for lunch and then it depends. If there's a 2nd session we're out again, mirroring the morning session by being out early. If there's no 2nd session then we are pretty much done as our gym work has been completed before training.


7). If you could offer one piece of advice to a young goalkeeper what would it be ?


To be prepared mentally. I think the biggest part of goalkeeping is the mental aspect. You have to be the strongest player on the pitch mentally. 

Confidence in your ability is a must. Mistakes will happen, understand that first, but also understand that it's imperative to free them from your mind immediately in a game. 

Goalkeepers make mistakes. It costs goals more often than not. But the best goalies, react immediately and get on with the game. If you can nail the mental side, the rest will come.



8). What exercises are most beneficial to a young goalkeeper to practice ?


As a young goalkeeper, it's all about trying to get the right techniques, alongside having good hands and fast feet. You cannot get enough Hands and Feet as a young GK. Every day you can do footwork exercises. It's easy and so beneficial to your all round game.


9). What would a team mate describe as your 3 biggest strengths as a goalkeeper ?

(Photo: Football365.com)
Walker in action on loan at N'hampton Town
I would like to think they'd say my commanding of my area. I like to come and claim as many crosses as I can and sweep up any through balls that come through. 

Hopefully my shot stopping would get a mention, I like to think that when faced up to me, I'm a tough opponent to beat. 

Thirdly, I hope that my calmness would be recognised. I like to be a calming influence to my back 4. Making them feel comfortable that everything behind them is solid and ready.

10). Any pre-match rituals that you have to do every game ?

I'm not big on superstitions. I've tried a few things over the 4/5 years I've been playing but there's only one that has stuck. 

Before a game, after the handshakes, I'll run to my goal, touch the middle of the bar, the left corner of the bar and then the right corner of the bar. Don't ask how its come about or why it’s stuck but it has! I suppose it makes me feel 100% ready for the game. I do it now without fail.


(Photo: EADT.com) Sam Walker acknowledges Colchester fans
after his man of the match v MK Dons on New Years Day























**Update** 
On the 21st January 2014 after two highly successful loan spells,  Sam Walker signed an 18 month contract to become a Colchester United player.

No comments:

Post a Comment